Translate

10/25/2020

Traveling to Surgery -> What to Pack

 Overpreparedness + Obsessive List Maker = Me

Since these are my tendencies I thought it might benefit others who like to have everything organized and done for you. Here ya go :)

 

Awareness shirts, baggy t shirts & tanks, low and loose shorts & pants
 
More dress up clothes that wouldn't be tight on my abdomen or need a bra (and still fit with swelling)

Shoes & accessories and what I would wear on plane and bring in backpack that I could change into

 
Ok a little tip, this really made a difference organizing all my pills when I got checked into the clinic. Mainly just for the first week it helped so much when I couldn't get up or reach myself I didn't want to have to be dealing with pill bottles and trying to think about telling someone else what I needed (on top of the pain medicine you will be receiving).

 
  • Medication list (maybe a few copies to be able to give to surgeon & anesthesiologist )
  • Folder to keep documents safe - anything to show Scholbach or Sandmann, CTA, (remember you will most likely have a surgery report and CTA you will also be bringing back)
  • All medication (don't rely on place for anything, and bring as much pain meds other docs can give you to travel back with)
  • Nausea medicine, ginger chews, mints and lollipops or something to suck on
  • Gum (there’s been a study to show it actually activates a bowel movement after surgery)
  • Picture board translator like this - https://amzn.to/2Ex7ngs #paidlink
  • If you have allergies or allergic to certain medicines, write the names in English and German and make copies in case you need to hand these out to nurses if they try to give you
  • Swimsuit if you are uncomfortable with nurses or caretaker washing you
  • Flip flops for the shower
  • Prunes/colace/miralax (do have green drinks they can give you, just ask)
  • Gas-x (have a different green drink you can ask for as well)
  • Bigger clothes for swelling (loose dresses are best for females)
  • Shorts or pants that won't rub incision (why I went overalls and yoga pants)
  • Heating pad
  • Hair dryer if you need one
  • Phone charger/Europe plug
  • Headphones
  • Earplugs if you might be sharing a room
  • Electronics and Entertainment (I brought laptop and 2 books)
  • Room Decorations ( I brought a couple frames)
  • Snacks (especially if you have food sensitivities or intolerances)
  • Drinks you like (any specialty hot teas, or even powdered soup you'd prefer for early on)
  • They will provide water, coffee, and hot water or the popular teas you'd expect
  • Small Pillow (to hold against incision)
  • Biofreeze Gel (I didn't bring this, but think it's a great idea my friend mentioned for any legs or back pain)
  • Brush
  • Toothpaste, toothbrush
  • Shampoo & conditioner, dry shampoo
  • Deodorant (I would bring yours over planning to buy in Germany (no antiperspirant)
  • Ponytail holders
  • Wet wipes (although I never needed to use mine, nurses came and washed me often)
  • Lotion (face and body and something scented to rub on feet if that's relaxing for you)
  • Chapstick or lip balm
  • Nail clippers
  • Q-tips
  • Sleep mask (I didn’t end up using, but good idea if you need it dark during the day to nap)
  • Masks (I didn’t have to wear in my room, but if I walked down to the garden I did)
  • Hand sanitizer for traveling and before you get to clinic
  • Your surgery playlist or you can borrow mine :)
  • Make up (if you are like me and it makes you feel like a new person when you put on - again I would bring your own if you have sensitivities to certain chemicals)
  • Journal (to log pain, symptoms, medicine times, or document your experience)
  • Compression socks like these cute ones - https://amzn.to/3hrCQ27 #paidlink
  • Slippers or cozy socks
  • Abdominal Binder (you can bring one or you can ask to buy one from the PT who will get you fitted - I did the second, but honestly I didn't wear except traveling back because I didn't like anything tight on my abdomen)

 

So here's what everything looked like all dispersed and accessible for my recovery:

 
I brought a lot of gluten free snacks because I wasn't sure what the clinic food would be like. Make sure you tell them food sensitivities, they were very accommodating and would even go to the store if they didn't have some like jello or ice cream those first couple days (there are stores in very close walking distance if you end up needing something that your person can go get or for their needs as well).
 

Don't you love my Invisible Illness Warrior medicine pouch? You can find it here.

 
I had a heads up that I would be pretty swollen after the surgery so I made sure to order underwear that was bigger and low enough not to rub my incision. Can you tell I've watched Marie Kondo hahaha? But seriously I was thankful I made it easy for the nurses to grab for me when I felt like changing out of the hospital gown on the 3rd day.
 

I did bring swimsuits in case someone had to help me shower. I ended up not having a problem showering myself and never used except throwing on a bikini to take a few pictures to document my scar healing. Depending when you go to Germany, I would recommend a jacket and sweatshirt (even during summer I was glad I brought mine).
 
  
 
Don't forget your shades!  I'm a sucker for versatile pieces when traveling so I have to mention it really came in handy bringing my blanket scarf. Also, if you want to blend in and not look like a tourist, bring a scarf to dress up your outfits.

I would last add try to think about the purse you bring. You will have a weight limit on what you should be carrying post op so if you have something smaller that can fit your phone and money if you go out exploring or to dinner. 




No comments: