Translate

11/27/2020

A Chronic Illness Christmas List

Something that can be tough is buying for someone with a chronic illness. Of course some people are wonderful gift givers, but others need or like a little more direction. I've always been a little disappointed with the usual lists I see circulating on the web so I thought creating my own list of favorites might be helpful for anyone who'd like to get something special for their loved one or friend with a chronic illness. 




1. A plant - I heard it actually helps someone if they have to keep something else alive. I agree, plus aloe vera is awesome for healing and surgery scars (paid link). 


2. Comfy & Soft Clothes - A typical item in these lists are usually pajamas. Although a good gift, other comfortable pieces that don't look like you slept in them or can dress up can take this idea a little farther. Sweatshirts and jackets are also sought after for someone with chronic illness because we can have issues with temperature control.  I mentioned Zyia in my last post with pieces I was gifted or you can click here to shop around yourself.


3. A Journal - You never go wrong with a journal. They can document, decorate, make into a smashbook, write thoughts, prayers, or if they need to keep track of pain and symptoms. Extra points if you add some special EDS pens like this (paid links).


4. Color Street Nails - I've always dreaded panting my nails because with my faulty proprioception, I don't always have the best accuracy and mix that with clumsiness, it doesn't make the best combo for applying regular nail polish. I just heard about Color Street recently and ended up deciding to try. They now have a customer for life. My favorite thing is to mix and match and even do patterns without having to actually draw on myself :) 


5. A Popsocket - When these first came out, I thought they were pointless and just another thing for us to feel obligated to buy. I was very wrong, it's more like a need now for my hands and fingers. I got this one for an easy conversation starter to share awareness (paid link).


6. Pony-O - Another item I saw for awhile, but thought it was gimmicky or too good to be true. It actually does help prevent headaches for me and I so wish I had these when I did gymnastics and track to keep my hair in place (it was such a huge pet peeve). They have a ton of colors to match your hair or to go with something more bright, or even a 🦓 print too. We got the girls pink ones for Christmas.


7. Grabber Reaching Tool - If someone is recovering from surgery, this is a must-have! My aunt got the tool for me when I got back from Germany and it's been a lifesaver (plus the girls love it and have not stopped playing with it).


8. An Illustration - Very trendy at the moment and I'm so excited how digital illustrations are cleverly being used to represent and show a glimpse into the life of rare disease and spoonies. All you need is a photograph to send them and this artist can draw you an illustration of your friend or loved one or even both of you together. Giving them this type of gift will definitely show how strong they are and help give some encouragement or confidence to keep going.


9. A Fun Cane - This one is on my list - it's a color changing cane! The company has a ton of options from bubbles, to lights, but the idea of being able to switch out colors is awesome. Another option is my first cane I ever purchased that can break down and fit into your purse or bag so it's more discreet if you don't need one all the time (paid link).


10. Ornaments - So many options! You can do one like above if someone finally got a diagnosis, or there's some others I'm also eyeing that have anatomy of different organs (I SO want the kidney one). My friend has done it again with her Spoonie Sister Shop!


11. Specifically Designed Makeup - This founder/make up artist created something I think there was a huge need for. The mascara, eyeliner, and 3-in-1 brow product are made for unsteady hands or someone who has issues with grip like 🙋‍♀️ I made sure to not reccomend anything I haven't tried and actually use so please know I approve of, which I have to be even more careful what I use because of my sensitive skin and reactions.


12. Something Cozy - Definitely not unique, but always a hit - a blanket (there's even a Hanukka one), pillow, socks, or slippers a chronic illnesser will always enjoy and appreciate being given as a gift.


13. Awareness Gear or Shirts - I've shared previously some of the best places to find them such as the SMASRAS non-profit, but a hospital bag or pill pouch are also a couple ideas you can switch it up with. Hospital trips and taking meds/supps are part of our life so why not get them something cute to cheer them up. You can also show your family member or friend that you care to know what they are suffering with 🖤


14. YuYu Hot Water Bottle - My go-to while traveling and I love that I can tie it if I need to do things around the house while getting a little relief at the same time. They have so many beautiful fabrics or prints to choose from so you can even get a couple to alternate. 



*Things to stay away from*

-Scented gifts like candles or perfume (may have reactions or get migraines if they have MCAS).

-Food, candy, or beverages with gluten, dairy, or caffeine (you never know if someone has intolerances or allergies so always safe to ask first).

-A yoga book or piece of fitness equipment (unless they are a yogi or fitness buff and you know they'd enjoy). Don't offer something in hopes it'll "cure" their lifelong chronic illness. Something to help give relief is always welcome though like Epsom salt or TENS unit.




Any items you think should be included? What's been the best or worst gift you've received?

 


No comments: