Translate

11/03/2020

Life Lessons from My Mom that have Helped with Chronic Illness

I didn't finish this post in time on my mom's birthday, but as I've learned from Lesson #2 below, it's ok ☺ The night after we left celebrating Memaw's birthday I was looking through old blog posts. I stumbled on this post where I said "I love you mom and I can't wait to celebrate with you when we finally get those answers we've longed for, for so many years." I honestly feel like we've been celebrating the past 4 months, grateful every day, and will continue because that's what you've taught me.


This past year there were a lot of times I felt like a failure as a mother, but Memaw would come to the rescue and do things with the girls that she'd do with me and my sister that I cherished so I didn't feel like they were missing out. I'm fortunate that she taught me so many things growing up that would benefit me with my chronic illness.


1) Work ethic - even during surgery recovery I was going to make myself get up and walk because I work hard and it pays off.


2) Sometimes you just have to let things go. I know there were many times I had expectations and unforeseen circumstances happened, but I've been able to cope because she taught me that early on.

 

3) There's always a reason. That's why determination is so important.


4) Never stop learning - if it's new research on EDS or something I learned from a sermon at church. You can always learn something new.


5) Health matters and being proactive matters - there are things we can do to better ourselves and improve our health and we should continuously stay up to date with them.


6) Everything in moderation - sometimes you just need to celebrate with something special for a holiday or a mood booster.


7) Always be kind. Enough said.


8) Focus on what really matters. What's the big picture? In the big scheme of things, is this really a big deal?


9) Even the smallest things (like a Dr Pepper & Hershey Bar) can be a party or special event and end up turning into a tradition.


10) I'm proud of you - she always told us and it inspired me to always want to do more things to make her proud.


11) Visualize - she used to teach me and tell me to do this in my swimming and I think it's the biggest lesson because I've learned how to turn everything into something positive, even the most difficult hardships.


12) Belt it out in the car - this is just good for your soul (crying allowed too).


13) Nature is most healing and animals most giving. Nothing like being outdoors or at the ranch and taking care of your horse, or planting something that can feed your cows.


14) Dancing can make your heart sing, but even better is watching your own child dance. I'll never forget the words she wrote in a note with flowers after a performance. I think the same thing every time I watch my daughters dance.


15) A smile can make a difference. As I've said before it's been my biggest testimony to smile even while suffering.


Happy 65th Birthday Mom, I love you. Thank you ❤


No comments: