Translate

7/01/2020

Let It Begin



"Every new sunrise is one step closer
It's a sign in the sky that the fight's not over
So face the world, it's now or never
This is the moment, let it begin

This could change everything
Can you feel it now, something's in the air?
This could change everything
I know we're gonna know it when we get there
No more waiting, I'm taking the chance
This could change everything
Let it begin"


My song on repeat today. Couldn't be a more perfect anthem right now. We got final approval this morning that our medical travel waiver is a go! I can't begin to tell everyone how your prayers are being answered. God is making a path and I'm just here for the ride, as I was told last week I better "buckle in tight" because things are moving, oh are they moving. Every unknown we've had, God continues to show up in a big way. We are learning to trust and it's been so crazy how past situations have prepared us for this moment. From traveling somewhere new without guarantees to putting our faith & life in a doctor's hands. In high school & college I was the epitome of someone having to be in control, I was an over-planner and perfectionist for sure, I mean I still am, but I've learned that I'm not the one in control and I have to let go. I mean learning that I was leaving in a week kinda forced me to have to give up that control. 


What I've also learned is to trust that peace that God gives you. I've had peace about this and keep getting confirmation after confirmation that this is the right thing to do. I know for others looking in they think everything is happening so quickly, but honestly we've been hoping for Germany since a year ago when I found out about these vascular compressions. I've been praying for answers, diagnosis, & treatment since these issues started at 12. I'm actually fortunate because a lot of people I know flew to Germany just to get the ultrasound with the diagnostic doctor and then found out they should have surgery right away so I feel like I've definitely had more time to prepare. Monday night I was seriously overwhelmed about everything that needs to be done while being so sick, but my husband (& that perfect perspective of his) reminded me that even if I had a couple more weeks or months before traveling, I wouldn't be feeling any better to do it all then either. Plus, if I was feeling better who knows if I would start doubting that I actually need this.


My husband is not able to accompany me on the trip. Unfortunately his passport is expired and with COVID, there was no way to fix this for the foreseeable future. He will stay here with the girls and be able to handle the wiring of the money to the hospital that he wouldn't be able to do there. I know I've mentioned before, but my uncle is from Germany and actually traveled over to see us when we lived in Austria so we've been in another country together before. He also brought me to my appointments and the hospital back in January and took care of me after my iliac stent surgery. I'm in wonderful hands and just so thankful that he's done everything he has to make this trip happen, along with being willing to spend a month in Germany as my caretaker.


I promise I will eventually respond to everyone that has called, messaged, commented, shared, prayed, encouraged, & donated. I'll also be making sure to document my trip & experience for those that have helped me to be able to even go and for those curious about my diagnoses & treatment. Some of you have already joined my Facebook Page for this blog and although I've shared a few posts on my personal accounts on social media, from here on out I will only make updates on this blog and Chronic Pain Overcomer accounts. I've added the social media handles to the right hand toolbar if you don't have those yet. I've learned even though I want to, it becomes too difficult to individually message everyone so either myself or Christopher, will do that on here. Would love to hear feedback on what would be most important for me to include or write about when we do. 


Even though my EDS doctor cannot come along like we hoped, she has requested & volunteered to video chat when I meet with the doctors so that we can all be learning and figuring out how to help others in the US. I've also created a private Facebook group called Chronic Pain Overcomers for anyone experiencing similar health issues and want to know all the specific details of my appointments and surgery for their own journey. I may not get around to posting as much on there or answering a lot of questions until I actually leave the hospital, but I want you to know it's mine and my doctor's goal and why we felt like this trip was so important. 


The plan: 
  • Flying out of the US Monday 
  • Should arrive Tuesday morning in Germany
  • Will get rental car & check into hotel in Leipzig (4 hour drive)
  • COVID-19 test at my doctor's office Wednesday
  • If everything comes back clear, will have my diagnostic appointment the next morning at 10 AM
  • Depending what he sees, will then head to Dusseldorf to meet with the surgeon 
  • I know everyone is curious on length of time in Germany, this is another unknown for now, but in our medical travel waiver the doctor estimated up to a month
  • Once we fly back from Germany I will probably stay with my uncle & aunt for at least a week or two, not only to quarantine, but they live in close proximity to my vascular surgeon & EDS doctor in case there's any surgery complications
*Germany is 8 hours ahead of the United States (Central Time) 
*Best time to reach us will probably be early morning your time (early evening our time)
*I will have my phone on airplane mode, but you can email, message or call me on Hangouts, Skype, Zoom, or Facebook because we should have Wi-Fi at most places (my uncle will have his phone on him for emergencies & short updates)


One more song I have to share with you. This is a song that I played a lot this last year when God put it on my heart there was a reason for not healing me & so many closed doors. That His plan was far greater than the walls in my mind or the box I designed. This last week, there have been so many moments I have to shake my head and smile seeing just a glimpse of what He's capable of.





"When did I forget that you've always been the king of the world?
I try to take life back right out of the hands of the king of the world
How could I make you so small
When you're the one who holds it all
When did I forget that you've always been the king of the world"



1 comment:

Donna Clem said...

I love that song! What a great choice. Marlee, I stand in our admiration of your strength! What a great inspiration for all other patients and a great testament for those who forget to have faith! Best of best wishes and prayers on this journey!!